Thursday, December 30, 2010

A New Year's Eve cake

I have just finished making a flourless chocolate hazelnut cake to take to Kate and Phil's New Year's Eve dinner tonight.


The recipe comes from Jody Vassallo's Wheat and Gluten Free Health for Life series of cookbooks. I've made it quite a few times and it always seems to please especially when served with strawberries and ice cream (gluten-free of course- try Sara Lee's French Vanilla). The hazelnut meal makes it a bit different from your standard flourless chocolate cake. Here is the recipe:

Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Cake

Ingredients: 250g dark cooking chocolate, chopped. 2 tablespoons milk, 120g hazelnut meal, 125g caster sugar, 6 eggs, separated.

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a 20cm spring form tin with baking paper.

2. Put the chocolate and milk into a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water. Stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool slightly.

3. Put the chocolate mixture, hazelnut meal, sugar and egg yolks into a bowl and mix to combine.

4. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and spoon into the prepared tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until firm. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Serve with fresh berries. Serves 8.

Have a gorgeous gluten-free New Year and best wishes for 2011.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Therese. I'm gettng hungry catching up on these posts. That chocolate cake looks fantastic! The reminder of the yummy food at your party is making me particularly hungry. Hope all is well with you and Bruce. Keep blogging! Luv Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trude - hope all is well down at Werri and you are having a nice beach holiday. Latest post is from the lovely south coast. Love Therese and Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great I lost my copy of this wee book and now I am all set to make this tomorrow for my so's 6th birthday thanks its such an easy recipe and outrageously moreish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha my son is 8 now and again I will be cooking this cake for his party tomorrow. Thank you Therese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great Ruth. Sorry I didn't reply before. It is a great cake - I must have made it about 30 times! Hope the party went well.

    ReplyDelete